Grade 3 and 4 worked for 2 months and gathered their results in a portfolio. They worked in teams and individually and touched upon a variety of topics:
1) Brainstorming: What do you know about India?
2) Projection of the film India between hunger and abundance (about different religions and societal groups in India, shortage of water, agriculture, conurbations…
3) General information: internet research
4) Indian topography: working with maps and atlases (Neighboring countries – Urban centers – Important rivers – Ocean)
5) Hinduism and casts (Texts as a basis for short presentations)
6) Excursion to an exhibition on India in Schallaburg (Historical overview – The life of Maharajas – Typical Indian clothing – Colonial powers in India)
Religion – team-work on Hinduism
We prepared for the visit of the Indian group by creating ornaments for henna tattoos which are very popular in India for celebrations like weddings. Each pupil worked on the shape of an arm or a leg and created fanciful decorations.
We also created a poster which introduced the theatre group to the pupils of our school.
We prepared questions (about food, water supply, traffic, school and living conditions) which we asked the members of the group when they visited us in one of our regular English lessons.